Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter Business

I received a good reality check this morning from my kids. I now know I have been remiss in teaching my children about the basic fundamentals of our faith. I was immensely proud of the fact that all three can recite the Lord's Prayer but this morning's discussion left me with no illusions that even weekly Sunday School has any great influence over the increasingly secular world my children live in.

On the short drive to church this morning, I reminded the children that it was Palm Sunday. "Yes, we know, we get to wave palms today!" they replied.
I asked if they understood what was special about Palm Sunday and proceeded to tell them about Jesus riding on a donkey. That much they did know. But when I questioned them about next weekend's significance, I was in for a surprise.

Mommy: Do you know Friday is called Good Friday?
Devlin: I know. It's Good Friday because we have no school that day, and Monday is also a day off. That's why it's Good.
Mommy: No, it's not Good Friday because you get the day off of school. It's called Good Friday because...
Ceilidh: Oh I know. It's Good Friday because the Easter Bunny comes after with candy and chocolate!
Aisling: Yeah, chocolate.

If they weren't so earnest in their explanations, I would have thought they were pulling my leg. As it was, Daddy and I spent the next five minutes providing a Reader's Digest version of the Easter story.

The next difficult question was, "What do you mean he died for us?"

Thankfully we had pulled into the church parking lot before my kids could figure out that Jesus' death on the cross would earn them a "get out of jail free" card every time with God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment