Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's Their Job?

Devlin's class is embarking on a chapter about community helpers. It's a nicer word for working people. The class is learning about different kids of jobs adults have in the community. In fact, I have the honour of attending Devlin's class to explain about my job as a lawyer. He's very excited about it, and apparently has been telling the class that his mommy is a lawyer and goes to court. When asked what his dad did, Devlin's was a little fuzzy on the details. Basically, as he explained it, his Daddy worked in a big tall building in Toronto and the best part is - "you get to take the GO train" to the job.
One of their assignments is to interview a community helper and prepare a presentation for the class. I suggested he interview his Auntie Shunaha and Uncle Nowell who are both medical doctors. After I had explained that while nurses work with doctors, nurses are not doctors. More like their helpers, or "sidekicks" as Devlin declared. Like Robin to Batman.

Well, he thought about my suggestion, but then decided he'd rather interview his grandparents (who are retired). What's their job, I asked in puzzlement.
"They sing at church!" Devlin answered, referring to their weekly choir activities.

When I told the grandparents, they wryly declared they were now minstrels in the eyes of their adoring grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment