Monday, September 12, 2011

Back to Work Blues

I've been on vacation for two and half weeks. It was hectic and relaxing at the same time.


Now I'm back at work, and not enjoying it at all.

I spent last week getting the kids back into the routine of school. Getting up earlier, packing their lunches, getting the kids out of bed earlier, re-instituting the after-school routines of homework, piano practice, small snack, dinner, playtime, and going to bed earlier. I also spent some time packing away outgrown summer clothing and shoes, purchasing bigger items for the growing munchkins, preparing baked goodies for lunches and mentally preparing myself for the return to work.

I should have known it was a wasted effort when Aisling began to stir at 6a.m. and not letting me leave her side for a work out. I sneaked out of bed at 6:30 to exercise. Twenty minutes later, I heard the not-so-gentle pitter patter of two pairs of feet scrambling around upstairs. After my work out, I entered the living room to witness Ceilidh and Aisling grappling over a Barbie doll, and using their legs to lick and push each other off the couch. There are a gazillion Barbie dolls in the house, and yet both girls had to lay claims to the same one. The whining ensued. Ceilidh was given her standard 3 count warning. She ended up in a time-out before 7:15 am - a record in our household. While she whined and griped even more, I prepared the lunches. Daddy took over the time-out so I could get ready for work. I tried to rouse Devlin before I hit the shower. He was NOT happy. By the time I was getting dressed, I could hear Devlin crying about not going to school. Daddy left, after having no success at calming him down.
I was in the middle of pouring coffee when Aisling decided to start crying. Clinging to my leg, she demanded I stay home. Devlin added to the chorus. Ceilidh, meanwhile having had her attitude adjusted, was eating her breakfast calmly.
It took me an extra seven minutes to soothe Aisling enough so I could detach myself from her, and another 5 minutes to reason with Devlin.
Traffic wasn't too bad. The only positive to my morning.
Then I got to work. It took 25 minutes to clear out the emails. Then I confronted my court list. It's 4:30pm and we're on our afternoon recess. I don't think I'm making it home before 6pm. The girls have gymnastics tonight. There's a pile of laundry to be done.
At least dinner was going to be easy - pizza muffins that Daddy can prepare. I've road-mapped out where the ingredients can be located.
I'm NOT enjoying my first day back at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment