Monday, January 14, 2013

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Or, in this case, Mean Mommy?

We just returned from Devlin's hockey tournament. It was fun filled weekend for the team. The Novice Credit Valley Wolves advanced to the finals but lost 2-1. The silver medals were handed out by Walter Gretzky. I think the parents got more of a kick out of that than the players. I had my proud mommy moment - Devlin was awarded the MVP for the first game. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend that game, so I'll have to watch the video.
Although the tournament was held in Brantford, we decided to book a room at the hotel. It would save from driving back and forth every day, and act as a mini vacation for the kids. I stress, for the kids. It was not a vacation for the adults. Okay, so I got a break from cooking meals, but I would have preferred to cook than ingest the amount of junk we did. The kids did enjoy the swimming pool at the hotel. Quinn especially, loved splashing in the water.
But what's a hockey tournament without some of the kids going nuts on their last night? The entire hotel was pretty much filled with tournament participants. On Saturday night, there much rowdiness occuring. Obviously, this particular team had not advanced. We made several requests to the parents in the hallway. The parents of the kids were not effective at all in controlling the noise level.  Our team had an early game the next day. Sleep was a priority. It was past midnight, and the noise showed no signs of abating. I was getting frustrated from trying to get Quinn back to sleep. More complaints were made, this time to the front desk. No improvement.
The next morning, short on sleep and patience wearing very thin, I asked Ceilidh several times to put on her shoes so we could get out the door to the game.
"I've asked you five times nicely. I'm losing my patience with you. Now, PUT ON YOUR SHOES or I will get very upset!" I snapped.
"Yeah, you don't want to see Mean Mommy come out, do you? She's scary!" echoes their ever helpful father.
Ceilidh looks up from tying her shoelaces, "Why are you scared of her? You married her!"

No comments:

Post a Comment