Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Stand-Off

Now that Quinn has turned two, he's become better at verbalizing his likes, dislikes, needs and delight. However, when he gets frustrated that he is not having his needs met to his liking, he resorts to throwing whatever items he can grab and fling. The soother will go flying, his stuffed lamb ends up on the floor, toys get tossed and books get chucked everywhere. Sometimes, instead of tossing it with force, he'll simple let the object drop from his hand onto the floor, while defiantly staring at us. Trying to correct this behaviour has been challenging.
Tonight, he wanted to watch Power Rangers. "Go go Ray" he requested. I refused as his siblings hadn't left the house. He threw his sippy cup onto the floor, and juice squirted out everywhere.
I asked Quinn to pick it up.
He refused. Shook his head.
I told him again.
He blew a raspberry. Challenged me with his baleful eyes.
I walked away. Into the kitchen. Started washing the dishes.
Quinn toddled after me. Tried to wedge his body between the kitchen cupboards and me. And had the gall to ask for a treat.
Calmly, I advised him I wouldn't be helping him if he didn't pick up his cup. (I was quite proud of myself for NOT losing my temper.) He fell onto the floor and started bawling, crocodile tears and all.
I continued with the task at hand, ignoring this display of drama.
All of a sudden, Quinn stood up and ran into the living room. I heard a thud. Then he returned and asked for a treat, "peeze."
I repeated that his sippy cup needed to be picked up.
"I did!" he stated. "Come!"
Grabbing my hand, he pulled me into the living room, and pointed proudly, "I did. On table!"
So he had.
I asked him if he was going to say sorry for his behaviour. He nodded and leaned into me, and when I didn't move, he grabbed my hand and made me hug him.
Then he looked at my face, and asked, "Candy?"
"Can you say sorry Mommy?" I asked.
"Candy?" he asked while patting my cheek with his sticky hand.
"How about no throwing," I tried.
"Candy?" And seeing the twinkle of amusement in my eyes, he laughed and knowing he had won the battle, declared triumphantly "Candy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment