Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The most wonderful time of the year

Yep, it's that time of the year - when the school bells ring, the children are out the door, eager to see their classmates and meet their new teachers, and parents are celebrating the return of routine and normalcy. It's also a time for bewilderment, as in, where did the summer go? How could it fly by so quickly? And of course, really? You need new shoes already? You grew how much over the summer?
Okay, the last two lines don't really affect me. At their annual medical checkups, we learned that while Ceilidh grew by 5 cm and gained 4 kilograms, Devlin only gained 3cm in height and 1 kilogram in weight. It's sad because Ceilidh now outweighs him by nearly 6 kilograms and is taller by 7cm. However, Devlin's feet are the larger ones. We're hopeful he'll grow into those feet soon.
Aisling was full of nervous energy on the first day of school, dreading grade one as she'd been told that "playtime" was thing of the past. But she was pleasantly surprised to meet up with several of her kindergarten buddies in her class.
The weather this week seems to be summer's last attempts at holding on, finally providing us with the heat and humidity that's normally observed in July. Despite the cooler weather, I think we still managed to cram in some summer fun this year. We opted not to do the CNE this year, and spent the day at the African Lion Safari instead. The monkeys still climb the cars but now there's an awesome water park and a train ride to enjoy. Not to mention the most delicious funnel cakes.
We also took the kids to Niagara Falls for a couple of days at the Fallsview water park. We did the obligatory trek down to the falls, the slow climb up Clifton Hill to gawk at the gaudy tourist attractions and purchase outrageously priced souvenirs for the kids. Here's one thing I love about water parks- no matter how unsure I am feeling about baring my post 4 kids baby in a bathing suit, there a gazillion other women in much worse shape than me, baring it - lumps, jiggly bits, cellulite and all.
There were also glorious days at the cottage. The waves were rough, the wind was refreshing, and of course, the time spent with family and close friends unbeatable. I could have done without the bug bites. My legs look like I've been attacked by chicken pox.
And then suddenly, it's September, and kids are in school, and I'm still trying to recover from summer. I'm enjoying my last few days of vacation at home. In between potty training Quinn, and staying on top of the back to school needs, reorganizing clothes and ensuring everyone has shoes and rain jackets for the fall, registering the monkeys for a slew of extra-curricular activities and mapping out the family schedule, I am trying to find some time to pamper me. So far, it's been in those few minutes after I've read Quinn some stories and we cuddle while he falls asleep for his afternoon nap. Those are precious moments I am trying to memorize. Next year, Quinn will be starting school and naps will be forever gone. At least, regular naptimes surrounded by fluffy pillows and cozy blankets.
Picking up the kids from school, trying to hear their excited news and tidbits about their day, coralling them for snacks, supervising homework and piano practice while trying to prepare supper, all the while, despairing at coming up with suitable quick meals for when I return to work and the kids are into hockey/dance/tae kwon do/cubs/brownies/piano/etc full swing....I'm ready to tear my hair out, or reach for the bottle of wine.
But I know, that this craziness will pass much too quickly. One day, I'll be staring at the phone, waiting for the kids to call from university or whereever they are, and wondering why I ever complained the house was too noisy.
So, I bid you good night, so I can go snuggle up to a sweaty, slumbering child and fall into the exhausted dreamless sleep of all moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment