Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Memories of my First Halloween

This year, I can sit at home and give out treats, enjoying the silence of a normally chaotic home. All the kids are trick or treating with their pals, and Daddy is out supervising the boys. Fortunately, the rain stopped and it's actually warm for an October night. I'm seeing more trick or treaters than usual.
As I hand out treats to little goblins, I am overcome by the memory of my very first Halloween ever.
My parents, being recent immigrants from Korea, had never heard of this tradition of dressing up in costumes and going door to door to receive candy. That didn't happen in Korea, at least not back then.
We were at my surrogate Grandfather's home, and he came down with a ratty looking pillow case, and beckoned me to follow. I remember going around his neighbourhood, shyly repeating "trick or treat" and getting CANDY in the pillowcase. What an exciting experience! I think I was 3 or 4 years old.  I wasn't ever allowed to eat candy! But that night, I got to indulge in everything I had earned from my trek.
The following year, I remember my dad taking me out in our neighbourhood. My mom hadn't quite gotten the idea of a costume, but I remember wearing an uncomfortable plastic Wonder Woman mask that cut into my face and getting more candy than the previous year.
As the years went on, our costumes got better. Mom made a witch costume, and I remember someone being a bunny. My younger sister still uses the jack o'lantern outfit mom made for her thirty years ago.
Dr. Toop was a crusty bachelor who didn't really participate in children's activities, but I know he made an exception for me. Instead of candy though, I think he gave out pennies.  It has been several years now since our surrogate Grandfather passed away. He was a huge part of my life, from introducing me to Halloween, to helping me with science projects and teaching us all how to curse. His driving tips still stick with me - it's safe to change lanes when you can see the other car's bumper in your rear view mirror, and you know you've gone too far when you hear a sickening crunch! I learned how to tile a wall, and how to polish a floor with wax (a skill I will likely never use again). Dr. Toop was with Dad and me when I opened my first bank account at age six and then treated me to dinner at Sneaky Pete's. I remember "educational" trips to museums and going to the police auction with him to bid on a ten speed bike. I paid way too much for it and spent just as much on buying new gears, tires, and paint for it. There was a lesson in that too.
What I also remember now is, while Dr. Toop introduced the Kim family to Halloween, Valentine's Day was another North American tradition (at that time) that he did NOT explain. I remember being in kindergarten, and cutting pink and red hearts to paste on an empty cracker box. Then sitting in a circle on the rug while all the other children dropped paper into the boxes, while I was at first mystified, then mortified that I had nothing to share! That was how the Kims became acquainted with Valentine's Day.





No comments:

Post a Comment