Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Stress

The problem with being too organized (is there such a thing?) around Christmas time is that it leads you open to more stress later on. Well, only if you want to be greatest mom and not disappoint your children on Christmas day.
I actually thought I had Christmas under control this year. Made up some cookie dough, and it's sitting int he freezer, ready to be sliced and baked. Two other cookie recipes are ready to be prepared, that is, all ingredients in pantry. Christmas cards ordered, picked up, addressed and mailed out. (No personal hand-written message though. I'm not super-human!) 80% of Christmas presents purchased and hidden - not yet wrapped. All gifts for husband's side of the family done! Teacher's gift selected - just needs to be wrapped before Friday. And since we're spending the holidays with my family in my hometown, I don't have to worry about holiday meals - just looking forward to some relaxing days spent with family.
I was actually feeling relaxed, perhaps even a bit smug! Until I was presented with the letter to Santa from Devlin. It had one item on it - Captain America. Last year, he was into the DC Comics Superheroes, and his fascination was accommodated. This year, it's Marvel superheroes. For those of you who don't know, DC Comics are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the rest of the Justice League characters. Marvel Comics are Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, The Hulk, IronMan, and the rest of the Avengers. Captain America too. I know I purchased some Spiderman and Ironman figures, but Captain America wasn't even on my radar.
So, off I went to the toy store on my lunch hour. No luck. Called the husband and suggested he go hunting at the toy store near his office. Also no luck. Starting to feel a little stress about this. But also wondering if Devlin will be distracted with all the other presents. Or maybe, borrowing a page from my parents, I could arrange for a letter from Santa Claus to indicate there weren't any Captain Americas left in the workshop, and would he settle for a difference superhero? Except, which superhero?
I'll try one more time tomorrow at neighbourhood department store.
At least Ceilidh was easy. Anything princess related will appease her - at least for this year. Aisling, I'm sure will be content with whatever she gets. Even the wrapping paper and bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment