Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's that time of the year again, where we reflect on the past 12 months, and start to draw up a new list of resolutions for the next 12. I know my husband's list will be same as last year's - lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier, spend more time with the kids, don't get too stressed about work, etc etc.

Instead of working on my list, I've decided to procrastinate by drawing up a list of resolutions for my kids.

For Devlin, I would resolve that he stop having pee-pee accidents, stop sassing back to his parents, stop whining, and learn how to read.

For Ceilidh, her new year's resolution list would include not tackling/pinching/kicking Devlin whenever they have a difference of opinions, play more gently with Aisling, try eating at least one vegetable at dinner without fuss and pick up her toys upon being asked once, not ten times.

Aisling isn't quite 2, so her resolutions are simple. Sometime before the end of 2010, she will be potty trained, give up the soother and continue eating as well as she does. Oh, and stop pulling on Mommy's hair to get her attention.

Well, upon reviewing these resolutions, I've realized it's just made my list even longer, since I've got to incorporate all of their goals into my own. Do I have a list to "better myself" in 2010? Sure. It's simple. I am going to resolve to be more patient with the kids (very hard to do), be more loving to my spouse (also hard when said spouse is driving me up the wall and doesn't respond to requests which then leads to repeated requests, or more commonly referred to as "nagging" by all husbands), be more effective at work (probably the most attainable of my goals), and keep a less cluttered house (that should really be my husband's resolution).
Of course, it's easy to write down these goals, but the hard part is figuring out how to attain them. Should I read more parenting articles? Go on more "date nights" with husband? Ignore spouse's failure to complete a chore and just do it myself? Take more days off work so I can walk my kids to school? Pick my battles and let there be at least one day of the week where the kids get to eat whatever they want so there are no dinnertime battles? Embrace the dust bunnies and cobwebs that inhabit our house, and revel in the chaos that reigns in our home?
I've got the rest of the year to figure this out, so I'll keep you all updated. In the meantime, from our home to yours, we wish you all the best for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment