Friday, March 19, 2010

The Bestest Dad

When you have young children, it is a miracle to get through a meal without interruptions, or without the children having to leave the table for one reason or another. Our children always seem to have to use the bathroom halfway through a meal. Once upon a time, Ceilidh used the excuse of having to "pee" when she was really using the toilet to spit out vegetables. Nowadays, she really does have to go when she excuses herself from the table. Or rather, she announces her "need" since our kids haven't quite caught on to all table manners. Really, I'd be happy if they used their cutlery in a consistent fashion.
The other night, true to fashion, Ceilidh announced she had to pee and left the table. After a few minutes, we heard "somebody wipe my bum!"
We ignored it, because we were waiting for the magic word. Another minute, and then, "somebody wipe my bum please!"
We yelled out, "Who do you want - Mommy or Daddy?"
"Daddy!" came up the answer.

Daddy went to do the deed, and this is the conversation I overheard.

Ceilidh: Daddy, you're the bestest dad.
Daddy: I'm your only dad.
Ceilidh: You're the bestest, most wonderful dad.
Daddy: Why? Because I wipe your bum?
Ceilidh: Yes! I love you. You're the bestest Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment