Monday, January 17, 2011

Aisling's turn

Early Saturday morning, we we tried to rouse Devlin for his hockey practice, Aisling moaned that her tummy was bothering her. "My tummy hurt", she groaned as she rolled around in bed. Usually I take this stomach complaints with a grain of salt, since she uses that line to get her "medicines", the multi-vitamins she takes on a daily basis. I rubbed her back and tried to convince her to fall back asleep. All of a sudden, there was vomit everywhere. She definitely wasn't feeling well.
While I changed the sheets and made the trip to the laundry room, while dealing with other two kids, Daddy stuck Aisling in the shower for a thorough scouring.
I settled Aisling onto the couch, and got Devlin dressed for hockey. Ceilidh thought it was cool to be awake in the middle of the night to eat breakfast (note it was 6:30 am, not the middle of the night) and raided the cereal cupboard. Aisling seemed to be in a better mood. Wondering if it was just the popcorn from the previous evening's skating outing, I foolishly agreed to her demands for milk. Somehow I forgot about last week's episode with Ceilidh, Or maybe I was thinking there was no way Aisling could have been incubating the tummy bug for a week. I poured out 3 ounces and handed her the bottle. I did wrap her in an extra large bath towel, just in case, and gave Ceilidh strict instructions to get me if Aisling threw up again.
I ran up to the bathroom for a quick shower.  I came back down to discover Aisling covered in puke and Ceilidh blissfully watching television.
"Ceilidh - why didn't you come get Mommy?!" I lamented as I mopped up the vomit, which was mostly contained on the bath towel.
"I wanted to finish watching this show," was her innocent, if selfish, response.

I brought Aisling upstairs for another change of clothes.
"Aisling, didn't you tell Ceilidh you threw up?"
"Yeah, but she didn't say anything," was her reply.

Lesson learned - never leave an older sibling in charge of a pukey kid when there's a good television show on.

Update: After a dose of Advil for the fever, two servings of pedialyte and a very long afternoon nap, Aisling was back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment