Friday, January 21, 2011

The Apple of my Eye

Potty training is almost completed with Aisling. She knows when she needs to pee, and announces it, loudly while running to the bathroom. The only difficulty is the poop. It's not that she doesn't know that she has to poop in the toilet, she'd rather poop in her underwear - partly because it hurts and partly, well who knows. But she assumes the position - she'll go on all fours and back herself into a corner - and then we know it's imminent. Once we spy those signals, we hurriedly scoop her up and run to the bathroom.
The other night, Aisling was displaying those classic signs. Off we went to the bathroom. Sometimes she wants privacy. That evening, she wanted Mommy to keep her company. Lucky me!
I sat on the step stool, and faced her. We stared at each other intently while waiting, and waiting.
Suddenly, Aisling cried out, excitedly. (No, it wasn't the big moment.)
"Mommy! I see Aisling in your eye! Aisling in your eye!" she shouted with glee while poking her fingers into my eyes. 
She calmed down again, but peering into my pupils, and once again seeing her reflection, she became excited all over and promptly forgot about the need to poop.
Clearly, one of the apples of my eyes - Aisling.

No comments:

Post a Comment