Friday, February 11, 2011

Running late with a smile

Ever notice when you need to leave on time, that's when all the road blocks appear to prevent a timely departure? School books can't be found, breakfast selection not to their liking, a run in the pantyhose,...there's always some event that keeps from leaving the house on time.
Yesterday was no different, although being delayed seems to have become a daily event since my monkeys arrived on the scene. Yesterday was school sport spirit day. The children were instructed to wear clothing reflecting their favorite sports. Knowing my hectic morning pace, I had already consulted Devlin and Ceilidh the previous night. Both had decided to wear their soccer team shirts. I had asked Devlin if he wanted to wear his hockey jersey. The answer was no because it was too big. (It is too big, even with all of his equipment on.)
Of course, Devlin decided to change his mind at the last minute. So I put away his soccer shirt and ran into the basement to retrieve the hockey jersey. I helped him fold up the sleeves several times. I put Ceilidh's soccer jersey over her outfit. Dispensed good-bye kisses and warnings to behave. Prepared to head out the door. As I put one hand on the door knob, Aisling noticed her older siblings' outfits.
"What about me? What I wear?" she asked.
Our nanny tried to distract her, but to no avail. So, I went back upstairs. A cursory search of the girls' closet didn't reveal any appropriate sports shirt. I grabbed Devlin's discarded soccer jersey instead. Ran back downstairs, and slipped it over Aisling's pig-tailed head.
The shirt swallowed her. It fell past her knees. But she was sooo happy.
"Thank you Mommy," she gushed as she jumped around with glee.
I was late for work. I broke the speed limits. But I had a huge smile on my face because I had made my baby's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment