Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I know where I stand...

...with my kids.

After 5 days away from my monkeys, I was missing them terribly. Every year, I am required to attend continuing education courses. Now that I am a mom, this week away is anticipated with relish. Imagine, sleeping alone and uninterrupted. Having dinner at an establishment where television sets are not hanging from every wall, crayons on the table are nowhere to be seen, and french fries do not accompany every entree. Nights where one can read a book, uninterrupted.
The reality is of course, that the week away s never as good as it seems. The beds are tiny and uncomfortable. While I may sleeping alone, the sleep is far from restful. The accommodations are far from stellar. The one highlight of the week are the evening meals where we linger over a coffee and dessert with friends. There's also the twinge of guilt from leaving the spouse to deal with everything else on the homefront. Although, in my mate's case, he also had the assistance of the much-loved and much requested Uncle Billy.
By Friday, I was missing my bed, the comforts of home, and mostly my kids. Ever the dutiful and doting mother, I did spend some time shopping for presents too.
When I arrived home, having made the drive in record time, my monkeys were partaking in their afternoon siesta. I quietly unpacked, dealt with some laundry, and waited patiently for the munchkins to awaken.
First Aisling blinked her eyes open, hearing a floor board creak. "Mama? Mama! You're here!" she exclaimed while clamouring off the bed. Devlin and Ceilidh also quickly opened their eyes. Devlin rushed over to give me a hug. Ceilidh?
"What'd you bring me?" were the first words out of her mouth upon catching a glimpse of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment