Monday, August 8, 2011

Sibling Interactions

Growing up with three younger siblings, I've had my share of disagreements, tussles, name-calling, and altercations with my brother and sisters. So has my husband who is one of three. Perhaps that's why we don't react so quickly or strongly to the everyday arguments or differences of opinion that occur on a daily, if not hourly basis at our humble zoo.
We've heard it all:
- he's kicking me;
- she's looking at me;
- he says I don't know but I do know, and I'm right, right?;
- she wants my toy;
- she ate my snack;
- stop interruptin' me, I'm trying to talk;
- why does he get to pick the movie all the time;
- I can't see and she won't move;
- he's sitting in my spot;
- she's pinching me;
- he kicked me;
- it's my turn!

Whatever - we've heard it all, at least once or twice. So, unless someone is bleeding or in danger of being physically hurt, we generally don't get involved right away. After all, nine times out of ten, the issue is resolved within minutes and there's peace and quiet for at least another twenty-five minutes. Do they work it out themselves? Sometimes, but truthfully, it's a matter of outsmarting the other sibling, or moving quickly to nab the object in dispute. Aisling is brilliant at simply plucking the desired toy out of her older siblings' grasp and walking away. Ceilidh is talented at wedging herself into the corner of the couch (a prime piece of real estate in our home - all of one square foot) and wiggling the offending sibling out of the way. Devlin, unfortunately, loses out a lot, having it ingrained in his psyche that he is NEVER to hit his sisters. Oftentimes, he is the one to enlist parental backup in a dispute. My sister Shunaha often did that too.
Last weekend, the monkeys were amusing themselves while the grown-ups enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. All of a sudden, we heard the whine of distress from Aisling. It didn't stop, but continued to increase in volume and urgency. As I prepared to investigate the cause, my younger siblings suggested I stay put, and let them "work it out" as we did when we were growing up.
"It's good for their character to resolve their own disputes," my brother stated.
"Yeah, we worked it out on our own when we were kids," my sister Grace agreed.
"Sure, like how you worked it out with Shunaha? By pulling out handfuls of her hair?" I retorted.
"Yeah, well, she probably deserved it," came the reply.

Then the crying started in earnest. I rushed to see the cause and this is what I saw.

Ceilidh was standing on the couch (a no-no), Devlin was about five feet away on the ground. Aisling was in between, attempting to jump and retrieve the stuffed  monkey. Two of my monkeys, Devlin and Ceilidh, were playing monkey in the middle, with the third monkey, with an actual monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment