Monday, March 5, 2012

Aisling's Wedding Plans

When I was expecting Aisling, I learned that a good friend was expecting her first child.  During the last months of pregnancy, we trekked to the spa and the afternoon matinees.  Initially, our dues dates were a month apart or so. But since Aisling arrived five weeks earlier than expected, she and my friend's child, Michael are only days apart. In fact, while I was recuperating from the c-section, it was a pleasant surprise to find my friend in the room across the hall after delivering Michael.
During the first year, Michael and Aisling spent many afternoons getting to know one another. The two started out as stroller buddies while we moms went for long walks outdoors and at the malls. They cooed at each other on gym mats while we huffed and puffed through a spinning class for moms and babies. There have been numerous play dates at gyms where the two have chased each other.
This year, Aisling and Michael are enrolled in gymnastics together. My friend and I thought it would be a great idea. We'd hang out and chat while our offspring tired themselves out by tumbling, jumping, swinging and leaping all over the place for an hour. It's turning out even better than we expected since they are the only two monkeys registered for their particular time slot. It's like having a private lesson in a huge gymnasium all to themselves.
Aisling adores Michael.
When I first told her she would be learning gymnastics with Michael, she was ecstatic.
A: Which Michael?
Me: Your friend Michael.
A: My Michael? My boyfriend Michael?
Me: Uh...yes.
A: I'm going to marry him one day. He hasn't asked me yet, but Michael and me are going to be married.
Me: Don't tell your dad.

But she did.
"Hey Daddy, I'm going to gymnastics. I'm going to see my boyfriend Michael!"
 Daddy responded with, "He's your friend, not your boyfriend. You're too young."
Stamping her foot on the ground, with arms crossed over her chest, she retorts, "He IS my boyfriend, and we're going to get married."

And last week, as we left the building together after another happy session, my little Aisling called out her farewells.
"Good bye! See you next week! I love you Michael!"

No comments:

Post a Comment