Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ms. Independent

Just as I've discovered I'm one of the women who are responsible for setting back the feminist movement (because I choose to have children, breastfeed, co-sleep and wear my baby according to a cockamamie argument by French philosopher Elisabeth Badinter), I was pleasantly surprised by Ceilidh's announcement this morning.
Ceilidh is a girly girl. She loves all things pink and frilly. She loves dance and doesn't like to play sports because it makes her sweaty. She loves to play dress-up and loves anything that is related to a princess. She is nurturing and gentle. She dots her "i"s with hearts.
As we walked to school this morning, she announced that she is never getting married.
Me: Why?
C: Because it's gross!
Me: What is gross?
C: The kissing. (She points to her puckered lips.)
Me: Well, okay. But you could get married and not kiss.
C: No it's gross. I'm never getting married. I'm going to be an adventurer and a spy with my friend Michaela. We're going to have an exciting time.
Me: That's great too. Be a strong and independent woman. Nothing wrong with that.

At this point, Devlin interjected. "But don't you want cake? I'm going to get married so I can eat the cake! You get cake at weddings!"

No comments:

Post a Comment