Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Caught Red-handed

Our after school routine involves emptying the backpacks and placing lunch boxes and agendas on the kitchen counter. There are after school snacks consisting of fruits not consumed at school or fresh fruits and crackers before homework and piano practising. It's a well established routine.
Which is why my Mommy radar went on high alert when Aisling rushed into the house and was quick to dump off her lunch box even before I had gotten in the door. As I finally entered the house after putting away the stroller and convincing Quinn it was time to go in, I saw Aisling rushing up the stairs, with her hands underneath her shirt.
"Whoa, where are you going?" I asked.
"Upstairs. I need some private time. Can't I have any privacy around here?" she retorted indignantly.
(Technically, her question was quite astute. There is no such thing as "privacy" in this zoo, especially for mommy who always has Quinn hot on her trail.)
"Umm, sure, but what's in your hands?"
"Nothing," came the reply as she scurried up the stairs.
Then came Ceilidh the tattle-tale of the family. "She's got cookies in her hands! I saw her take cookies!"

I gave Aisling the stare and demanded she return to the kitchen with the contraband cookies. She knew she was caught since I  had opened up her lunch box by then, and saw the evidence of her uneaten fruit snack.
However, not to be beaten, Aisling took the longer route to the kitchen (through the living room) and by the time she arrived, she had successfully stuffed three-quarters of one cookie into her mouth, and relinquished the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment