Tuesday, November 14, 2017

His middle name!

When you have 4 kids, all attempts at watching your language go out the window. Or at least it does in my case. For those of you whose children have never heard a four letter word uttered in your home, unless of course, the toilet backed up at the same time the washing machine broke down and you dropped a wrench on your big toe, good on ya. You’re going to parent heaven and I am burning in hell.
There you go, another 4 letter word.
And then there’s being the parent to a precocious, curious, over active, mischievous child. It never fails that when I need be somewhere or need to have Quinn do something, it doesn’t happen according to plan or schedule.
Inevitably, there will be a crash, or a thump, or an “oopsy” and then, a “Quinn – Goddammit! Can you please ____” and fill in the blank with whatever you want. Brush your teeth, stop touching that wire, stop hitting/scratching/kicking, stop picking your nose, get out the door, pick up the toy you threw, finish your lunch …”
I have lost all pretence of attempting to edit my language at home. Yes, I’m sure that makes me a very poor role model for my children. But so long as they’re able to understand what is acceptable language for mommy and what is not acceptable for them, my children are learning self-regulation.
Although, perhaps I too need a lesson in self-regulation.
The other day, after another episode of “Quinn, goddammit, can you please ___”, my little precocious tot stated “That’s my middle name!”
“What’s your name?” I asked absently while tending to his latest misadventure.

“Goddammit!”

No comments:

Post a Comment