Friday, August 7, 2009

Grocery Shopping with Aisling

Last night, I went grocery shopping with Aisling. It was an adventure.
She was excited to sit in the buggy and look around. Then, she became excited as items of food entered the buggy. She touched and poked and prodded each new item. She attempted to open a few packages. The package of ground beef has indentations from her little fingers. And then, she decided this was a new game.
Let's see, Mommy is taking things from the shelves and putting them into the cart. I can do that too. As quickly as she was pulling onions, boxes of raisins, bags of buns into the cart, I was taking them out and attempting to put it back onto its proper shelf. All the while, trying to get the items from the shopping list into the cart.
So, Aisling decided to help me out there too. The more food items I put into the cart, the more she began to take out and throw onto the ground. Tomatoes went flying, the strawberries scattered onto the floor, a cucumber got dropped and almost stepped on. And if the way she flung the container of dip is any indication, my little girl has a career in baseball.
Eventually, in a last ditch attempt to finish my weekly shopping with most of needed items still in a consumable state, I opened a bag of corn puffs to keep her occupied. That's when I discovered that she had learned to sign "more". She pointed to the bag and signed more each time she had finished stuffing one of the puffs into her mouth. Wow - all those weeks of practising signing and she finally got it!
P.S. Aisling "helped" put away the groceries. More bruised bananas and very mushy tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment