Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ceilidh Fights Dirty

Some parents might worry over their girls, particularly their daughters' abilities to withstand criticism or taunts. We have no such concerns with respect to Ceilidh. Even when she was a toddler, she was able to stand up to her older brother Devlin. Whenever Devlin got in her way, or took away a toy she was playing with, she took matters into her own hands. Instead of tattling on her brother, or crying, Ceilidh would toddle over to Devlin and bite him. Now, we didn't encourage the biting to continue, and in fact we struggled to squelch that nasty trait, but it was refreshing to see our daughter wasn't a push over.
As she got taller, and eventually reached Devlin's height (yes, my twins who were born 25 months apart), Ceilidh did give up the biting. For pinching. We're working on ridding her of that. There's now less pinching. Because she moved onto simply knocking Devlin over and sitting on him. But only when she's really mad at him. Since she now outweighs her older brother by a couple of pounds, it an effective tool for Ceilidh. (Yet neither weigh enough to get out of the full blown car seat.)
Most days though, when she really wants to irk her brother, she plays the copy cat. You know, that age-old annoying method of repeating EVERY THING the other person says. Anyone who has a sibling, whether older or younger, has partaken in this ritual. I don't know if it's more bothersome to the target, or to the parents who have to listen and then intervene.
Unfortunately, Ceilidh does not respond well to parental efforts at curbing this behaviour. Time-outs on the naughty stool have no effect. Taking away t.v. privileges doesn't seem to bother her either. In fact, I think she thrives on getting a reaction out of Devlin. One day, out of sheer desperation, I told Devlin to say some not-so-nice things about Ceilidh when she started to copy him. Like, "Ceilidh smells bad" or "Ceilidh looks funny". (Yes I know, I'm a horrible mom.)
So, he did. It had the desired effect. Outraged, Ceilidh immediately ceased the mimicking and returned with "I do NOT smell bad! I smell like a princess!"  and "I am pretty!"
Unfortunately, this counter-tactic only worked for a few days. Ceilidh caught on quickly, and learned to substitute "Devlin" for "Ceilidh" whenever he tried to verbally spar with her.
Devlin has one weapon up his sleeve though. He is older and in grade one now. That means he can read (a little) and apparently, he knows more. So, every once in awhile, I'll hear this from my son. "Ceilidh, I KNOW [insert topic of discussion], and you don't. I'm in grade one, and I'm older, so I'm right." (Yes, not very original on his part.)
While Ceilidh will usually reply with a growl or a pinch, the other night, she hit below the belt. She looked over at him, and said very sweetly, "Well, I DON'T wear diapers!" referring to his night-time pull-ups.

As an aside:
I know, he's six and he still needs the nighttime pull-ups. There are some nights he makes it through completely dry, but it's a random occurrence. No discernible pattern. Despite the fact that we were all completely night time trained by the time we were two and half years old according to my mother, my son shows no sign of following in my footsteps. After a year or two of stressing over this (particularly since his younger sister Ceilidh has rarely peed during the night, even as an infant), I've decided to let it go. So many parents I've spoken to have said the night time dryness comes on its own. No amount of waking the kid up in the middle of the night is going to hasten the matter. It's all about biology and physiology, and the maturing of the nervous system according to the pediatrician. We've tried to waking up the kid and it was NEVER a pleasant experience. We're not into the restricting all fluids after a certain hour either. I think that borders on cruelty. I mean, my kid is not the only one who is not dry at nighttime. There are pull-ups for kids who are heavier than 80 pounds! So rather than stressing about the night time pee issue, I've decided to focus my energies on curbing Ceilidh's bothersome behaviour. Not that I've had much success with that either.

1 comment:

  1. That Ceilidh is a spitfire! Love it. She's a quick one for sure.

    ReplyDelete