Monday, November 22, 2010

Quality Time

When we're in the middle of a crazy week, rushing to and from activities and work, attempting to get mundane chores completed, it seems there will never be an opportunity to enjoy a simple past time like reading a book, or soaking in a bath sans enfants. Every once in awhile, I do manage to find time to browse a bookstore, but it's usually when I'm at work, away from the children and the pressing to-do list of household chores and the ever growing pile of laundry. Trying to schedule quality one-on-one time with the kids is a near impossible task, let alone finding time alone with the spouse. But to my amazement, I did manage to have some alone time with each one of my kids this weekend.
Unlike the now defunct "Jon & Kate plus Eight", I did NOT have a special outing planned for each child. There was no trip to a horse farm or roller rink. None of that, which frankly, would require way too much energy to plan and there's simply not enough time in the day for that task.
Rather, the one-on-one time came upon us in a serendipitous fashion. The opportunities found us. While Aisling was at dance lessons, Ceilidh and I partook in the weekly Costco shopping trip. Okay, not really quality time, but she was able to help Mommy with the shopping and voice her input into what flavour of chips made their into the cart.
Once I dropped off Ceilidh as her dance session, it was Aisling's turn with Mommy. We headed to the nearby Tim Horton's for Aisling's "chockit" doughnut snack. I enjoyed a cup of coffee while Aisling proceeded to munch away at the chockit while charming all the customers at Tim's.
I even managed to have some time with Devlin. Again, it was during a trip to the grocery store. Devlin helped with selecting the fruits and vegetables, and I caught a glimpse of what toys he was interested in when he took off for the toy aisle. I ended up with more than what was on the shopping list, but that's what happens when your child asks for raspberries and fresh pineapple, and selects a still warm baguette for his snack. We had a silly conversation about nothing important, and came away with a date to see the Green Lantern movie when it's released next summer. (I showed him the Ryan Reynolds, aka Green Lantern cover of People magazine.)
As a bonus, while Devlin and Aisling were frolicking in the pile of raked leaves with Daddy, Ceilidh and I took advantage of the empty living room to work on jigsaw puzzles.
Sitting at my desk surrounded by piles of work with gloomy skies outside, I look back over my weekend and (as cheesy as it sounds) realize how fortunate I was to have those few stolen moments with each child.  Despite the craziness of the weekend (picture dance lessons, gymnastics, hockey, church, rehearsal for the Christmas pageant, a concert, shopping, laundry x5, cleaning, homework, baths, meal preparation), it was magical that I was able to find time for each child to appreciate each child's unique personality while creating forever images in my mind's eye. Aisling in her pink ballet tutu sporting a toothy chocolatey grin, Ceilidh's quiet determination while sorting through a hundred puzzle pieces, the mischievous gleam in Devlin's eyes as he was bestowed the responsibility of picking out a snack at the grocery store. These moments don't happen very often but when they do, seize them!

No comments:

Post a Comment