Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Can adults believe in Santa Claus?

Sometimes, I really wish life was like the movies. The Christmas movies that portray legions of tiny creatures with pointed ears frantically but happily making the toys for all the boys and girls of the world who made it to the "nice" list. If that were so, then I wouldn't be panicking and tearing my hair out trying to locate a Hot Wheels Wall Track kit for my first-born child. It's only December 6th, (18 days before the big DAY) and the toy stores across the GTA have sold out of the hottest must-have item for the year.
I swore to myself that I wouldn't be that mom who had to fulfill their child's Christmas wish list, nor would I be that crazed parent driving from store to store to obtain the much coveted item. In fact, being organized and all, I did actually do most of the Christmas shopping in October. But the kids got to sit on Santa's lap last week at a Christmas dinner event, and whisper their wish list to the jolly fat man in the red suit. And a day later they repeated that list to their grandmother. And once again, when they started to compose their letters for the North Pole. Ceilidh has been asking for a La-la Loopsy Doll, and I have no idea what that is. Aisling wants a Barbie princess doll, and Devlin has been raving about the Hot Wheels Wall Tracks. And every time a commercial for one of those items comes on the television, I am summoned with all sorts of urgency and fanfare to view the desired toys. Since my monkeys were not asking for the entire toy store, and I remembered what it was like to see the Fashion plates I had so desperately wanted under the Christmas tree when I was 8, I decided to see if we could fulfill their Christmas wish list.
So, after seeing the Toys R Us flyer, I spent a lunch hour at the dreaded toy store. I braved the crazed shopping crowd, and was rewarded with a Barbie princess doll at 50% off and a La-la Loopsy doll which was also on sale. (Incidentally, there were several different types of the La-la dolls, I picked the one I think Ceilidh will like. Personally, they looked a bit creepy.) But alas, no Hot Wheels Wall Tracks. All sold out. So I called some other Toys R Us stores. When I asked about the Hot Wheels Wall Tracks, no success. And of course, no one could confirm whether or not there would be more shipments before Christmas.
So, if anyone out there knows where I can get my hands on a Hot Wheels Wall Tracks, please please point me in the right direction. Unless of course, there really are legions of little people with pointed ears toiling away in a workshop up north, making the toys and will drop a set off under our Christmas tress this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment