Saturday, December 31, 2011

A moment of pride

Last week, I received a phone call from the school.  There was a feeling of dread as I momentarily hesitated before answering the call. My previous dealings with phone calls from the school have consisted of requests to pick up a sick child or a relaying of a tale of misbehaving on the part of my child.  So it was a wonderfully pleasant surprise to be told that Devlin would be receiving the Student of the Month award at an assembly in two day's time, and that we were more than welcome to attend. Oh, and to please keep it to ourselves as it was to be a surprise for the recipient.
As soon as I got off the phone with the teacher, I called my spouse. After expressing his initial happiness, he asked what Devlin had done to receive the award. A fair question, as his last two math quizzes were disappointing. I hadn't asked, as I had been a bit stunned.
"Let's just revel in the news. Don't question it! It's nice to hear that he's finally 'getting' school," I stated emphatically.
The day of the assembly arrived, and we did our best to act nonchalant as we dropped Ceilidh and Devlin off at school, and then snuck back to enter the gymnasium for the monthly awards assembly.
This particular school recognizes its students' achievements on a monthly basis. There are good citizenship awards, as well as Student of the Month awards for improvements in academics. Every teacher, save for kindergarten, selects one or several students to laud at the assembly. As we sat through the hour long presentation, it did seem like it was an exercise in rewarding mediocrity. Or rather, finding the smallest reason to praise.
And yet, even without knowing why he was being singled out this month, I felt a bubble of pride growing inside of me, and threatening to burst forth in a silly smile. Of course, the grade two class was the last grade to hand out its awards. All the while, I had the camera ready. Finally, the grade two teachers took their position at the front of the gym.
Devlin was awarded Student of the Month for his improvement in writing and learning to work independently. He had a huge toothy grin on his face as he took his spot at the front, after shaking hands with his teacher and the principal. His face was beaming as he proudly held up his award. I think I felt a tear or two cloud my vision.
Way to go, Devlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment