Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Waiting Game

Sometimes I wish I had opted for the scheduled c-section. Then I wouldn't be in this state of impatience, waiting for the inevitable signs of labour. I would have known well in advance of Baby #4's arrival, made plans for the actual date, and organized my Christmas shopping and baking around it.
Instead, we decided to go with the element of surprise - which totally goes against our Type A personalities. We have no idea whether Baby #4 is a girl or a boy, although all the inmates of the zoo are rooting for a boy. We have no idea when the stork will make its way to our brightly decorated home. Given that all of its siblings arrived before the due date, we are laying odds that Baby #4 will make its appearance before December 30th, but when exactly?! Of course, it this child goes against the established pattern, and comes late, it'll be a tell-tale sign of its stubborn personality - something I'm not looking forward to in the youngest.
So, with no idea of Baby#4's timetable, I have been super-organized mom-to-be, preparing for its arrival and Christmas well in advance. A good portion of the Christmas shopping was accomplished in October and November. Teacher's gifts were prepared two weeks ago. The baking hasn't quite begun but the dough is prepped, in the freezer ready to be rolled out and decorated. The gifts are nearly all wrapped. The suitcase is packed and waiting by the door. The layette is washed and folded away. I have a two month supply of diapers in the closet. All that's missing is the guest of honour.
I am waddling around, unable to sleep, battling heartburn and willing all the Braxton-Hicks contractions to become the real thing. Meanwhile, Baby #4 appears to be content to stretch and kick my ribs while contorting my belly into odd figures that fascinate its siblings who are more eager for Baby's arrival than Santa's impending visit.
So, when are you planning to arrive, Baby #4? We're all eagerly and anxiously awaiting your arrival. (Of course, my discomfort at this stage of the pregnancy has nothing to do with my impatience!)

No comments:

Post a Comment