Monday, February 8, 2010

Sibling Love

When Devlin was two years old, he became a big brother to Ceilidh. At first, I worried about sibling jealousy and whether or not he would bond with this little baby. Would he try to harm the baby or would he simply ignore the creature?
I shouldn't have wasted my energies, since it was obvious that he was fascinated by the tiny being. He was very protective of his sister. They'd take naps together, and I even got one picture of them sleeping side by side, with Devlin holding Ceilidh's tiny hand in his. Whenever we'd get ready to go anywhere, he'd point to Ceilidh's car seat and say her name, reminding us we weren't to leave her behind. He'd say "Don't cry, we're almost home" whenever Ceilidh screamed in the car, and he was quick to jam the soother in her mouth when she wouldn't stop crying.
When Aisling came along, Devlin was well-versed in his role as big brother. Being a big sister was new to Ceilidh but she took to the job with relish. She was quick to "shush" the baby when Aisling cried, and she loved to smother Aisling with kisses. I swear Aisling would cringe, even at 3 months, whenever she saw Ceilidh coming towards her with lips all puckered up.
On the weekend, I attended a baby shower for my sister. Aisling accompanied me as Daddy had promised a day of fun for Devlin and Ceilidh. It was a long day for Aisling and she was more than ready to leave by the end of the party. So much so, that she quickly located her shoes and jacket and tried to open the door to leave. When we finally exited the highway, I said "We're almost home. We'll see Daddy and Devlin and Ceilidh very soon." Aisling kept repeating "Ceilidh, Ceilidh" until we finally entered the house and she happily ran to her older sister.
It's moments like these that make me happy to be the mother of these rugrats.

1 comment: