Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Day - Past and Present

There's been a lot of attention lately on the protests against Valentine's Day by singles and otherwise unattached folks. As an adult, I agree it's an unnecessary Hallmark Holiday. It puts way too much stress on finding a date for the 14th and suggests that to be alone is to be a loser. In fact, this belief starts to germinate in high school when kids are no longer required to bring a valentine for all of their classmates, but can selectively decide who will receive a memento of one's undying devotion. Remember the fundraisers on Valentine's Day, like the candy-grams and wilted carnations that were sold and delivered in class? All the popular cheerleaders received dozens and dozens from secret admirers while the rest of us got one or two from friends.
I half suspect the purpose of the whole day is to generate revenue for retailers - something I usually do not support. However, as a parent, it's fun to get involved in the whole process of picking out cards, and watch the excitement of your child as he diligently signs his name to the cartoon card. One media personality recently commented that Valentine's Day is for the kids. It is a fun time for children who are looking forward to exchanging Valentines and eagerly awaiting the red and pink treats that will inevitably accompany the cards.

It brings back memories of my first experience with Valentine's Day. I was 5 years old, and in kindergarten. We had spent a week decorating cracker boxes with pink paper, and gluing on misshaped hearts. I had no idea what all of this signified. Then the big day arrived, and we all sat in a circle. One by one, my classmates got up and distributed Valentine's cards to everyone else. Except for me. I had no idea that we were supposed to bring cards, nor did I have any idea of what Valentine's Day was. And certainly, there was no letter sent home explaining what was going to happen. (My son's school thoughtfully sends out a letter with the students' names.) At the end of the day, I lugged home the decorated cracker box filled with Valentines and showed it to my parents, who were equally mystified. As immigrants, they weren't well-acquainted with certain secular celebrations, like St. Patrick's Day and the Easter Bunny. Hallowe'en, however, was one they were introduced to by my surrogate grandfather. I remember Dr. Toop taking me around the neighbourhood with an old pillow case and teaching me the magic words "Trick or Treat" that resulted in candy being put into the pillowcase. Since he was a life-long bachelor, save for 6 months of his life, Valentine's Day obviously did not rank high on his list of priorities.

After that enlightening experience in kindergarten, my mother never forgot to purchase Valentines for our classmates. My grandmother even got into the spirit of the day by always having special candy treats for us. She loved any excuse to purchase gifts for her grandchildren, and she loved receiving our cards in return.

In our household, February 14th has always treated as extra-special. My spouse and I had our first date on February 14th, at a Harvey's no less. So while we're pawing through all of the cards that Devlin brings home from school, and munching on some candy hearts, I'm sure a Harvey's lunch will be on the agenda as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment