Friday, April 23, 2010

A bit nervous

The other night, I spent a few hours nervously awaiting a call. From the police or the Children's Aid Society (CAS). Not that my children were injured, or missing, or anything dire like that. I was anticipating the call because of what had transpired earlier that evening.
Devlin had been tired and cranky all day. He woke up cranky. He greeted the start of a new day by throwing a temper tantrum. He spent the first 20 minutes of his waking moments on the naughty stool. By the time I left for work, he was noticeably calmer, but not much happier.
When I returned later in the day, he seemed happy. He appeared to be excited about the evening's swimming lessons. He was enthusiastic during the half hour lesson, especially when he was splashing the instructor. I did not see a single pout mar his features throughout the duration of the class.
Usually after swimming lessons, we indulge in McDonalds. However, we decided to order take out from a different establishment. The children would still eat the same foods - chicken and fries - but there was no toy. That set Devlin off on a major tantrum. I know he was tired. I know the swimming had exhausted him even more. But there was no appealing to Devlin. For the entire 7 minute car ride home, he screamed about wanting McDonalds, about not liking his parents, and how life is unfair (I agree!). To top it off, Ceilidh was shouting "Stop crying Devlin!" at the top of her lungs and Aisling decided to join in the screaming so she wouldn't be left out of the fun.
We arrived home and Devlin was still going at it. We unloaded the girls, the swimming gear and the food. Still kicking and crying. I advised Devlin he was NOT getting out of the car seat until he calmed down. He screamed louder still. I warned him I was going to leave him in the car. He didn't care.
So I left him. I closed the doors and locked the car. We went into house. The girls got their supper. I put the wet towels and swimsuits into the laundry.
Just as I was getting ready to head back outside, I heard the screen door open. For a second, I thought "how did he manage to get out of his car seat?"  Then the doorbell rang. I opened the door to an unfamiliar adult male (i.e. not a neighbour) who attempted to inform me I had forgotten a child in the vehicle. I abruptly replied, "Yes I know. He's having a time-out, so I'm well aware he's in the car. Thanks," and closed the door on his accusatory glare.
As I went out to the car, I could see that man, and his female companion looking back, staring, as they walked away slowly.
Devlin had not calmed down. In fact, in the time I had granted him to settle down, he had thrown his shoes at the front windshield. It took another 10 minutes of crying before he was ready to apologize and enter the house. He washed his hands, apologized to everyone, and eagerly ate up the meal that started the whole mess.
Meanwhile, I nervously joked about getting a visit from the CAS. Maybe it's the nature of my occupation, but I kept peeking out the window half expecting to see a police cruiser parked in the driveway. I mentally prepared my defence - he was strapped in the car seat, the doors were locked, I kept a visual on him at all times, he could not harm himself while having his time-out, he is SO NOT a neglected child - while we adults jokingly got our stories straight should the dreaded call come. Because, you know if they asked Devlin for his version, we'd all be in trouble!
Well, it's been nearly 48 hours, and no surprise visit from the CAS. Maybe I can relax now.

No comments:

Post a Comment