Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Visit to the Doctor's

There was a boy named Devlin. One day, his mother told him he had a doctor's appointment.

"Why?" he asked.
"The doctor wants to check on your health, and see how you're doing, and see if you're growing," his mother answered absently.
"Will the doctor give me a shot? I don't like needles!"
"Oh, I don't know. We'll have to see," she said, while knowing that the main reason for the doctor's appointment was for a routine vaccination.

Devlin, being a smart five year old boy was not fooled by his mother's calm response.

"I will NOT go to the doctor's! She's going to give me a needle!" he screamed as he ran from the room.

Later that evening, he decided on another approach.
"What will happen if I don't get the needle?" he asked.

His parents carefully considered that query.
"Well, if you don't get the needle, then you might get really sick."

"Why?"

"The medicine in the needle has super powers to keep you very healthy. Otherwise, your arm might fall off, or your skin could be covered in green bumps, and maybe your hair might turn purple and fall out!"

"That's okay. I don't like NEEDLES! It is going to HURT! I am NOT going to the doctor's!" he announced emphatically.

Devlin's parents wisely ignored this outburst.

The next morning, his mother gently reminded him about the doctor's appointment. She then dangled the carrot in front of his nose.
"Your daddy will take you to see the doctor, and if you're very very brave, I'm sure Daddy will have a treat for you."

"What kind of treat?" he asked sleepily.

"Who knows? It's a surprise!"

"I am NOT going to the doctor's. I don't want a needle!" he stated as he was now fully awake.

Later that afternoon, Devlin and his Daddy arrived at the doctor's office. It was quite boring for a bit. There was a wait in the waiting room, and then another one in the examination room. Finally the doctor arrived. She chatted with Daddy. Then she turned her attention to Devlin. First she looked in his ears and down his throat. Then she weighed him and measured his height.
Devlin was beginning to think this visit to the doctor's was nothing exciting, until the doctor excused herself for a moment. She returned with a needle and Devlin was now alarmed.
As Daddy and the doctor approached him, Devlin prepared himself for a battle.
With his arms flailing, his legs kicking, he began to cry and scream.
"No, No NO! Don't hurt me. Don't come near me. I don't want a needle."

His daddy grabbed his arms and legs and pulled him close.

"Let go, let go, let go! You're hurting me!" The tears were now pouring out of his eyes.

The doctor also grabbed an arm.

"Let go. I have to PEE! I am going to PEE in my pants! Don't hurt me!" His little face was red.

All of a sudden the doctor stepped back. She smiled, and said "All done!"

Devlin stopped his screaming. He relaxed his little body. He sniffed and looked up.

"What do you mean?"

"All done. You've had your needle and now you can get a band-aid."

"What?" he was perplexed. "I didn't feel anything! It didn't even hurt!"

Meanwhile, I'm sure he was thinking, "Wow! All of that fuss for nothing?"

He looked up at his father as he wiped the remaining tears off his face, and asked, "Was I brave Daddy? I didn't feel anything. It didn't hurt. Can I still get my treat?"

Daddy just rolled his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment