Monday, May 3, 2010

No more teddy bears

My little boy is growing up. It's a bit sad.

We have some very generous and thoughtful friends who funnel their kids hand-me-downs to us. It is a wonderfully appreciated gift. In fact, when we were first expecting, they gave us a ton of baby gear, including a baby swing and bathtub, a jolly jumper that got many hours of use from all thee of our kids and lots of toys. About once a year or so, more clothes come our way, for which we are thankful. Devlin loves the idea that he's wearing clothes that Cole once wore, and Ceilidh likes the fact that Kyra is a girly-girl, just like her.

This past weekend, Devlin attended a birthday party. I suggested he change out of his play clothes, and laid out a green golf shirt and some shorts. He came down wearing the shorts and a blue striped golf shirt instead. He matched, so I didn't think anything of it. The next morning, I again pulled out the green shirt and some brown cotton pants for church. He became very upset, refusing to wear the green shirt. Not sure why. But on Sunday mornings, time and patience are in short supply, so I threw up my hands in defeat, and advised him to find something presentable and clean to wear. He did. A nice orange collared shirt, also from Cole.

Later that day, Daddy advised me why Devlin refused to wear the green shirt. It had a tiny brown teddy bear on the shirt. He will not wear clothes with teddy bears. Every one will make fun of him, he explained. No more teddy bears. Cars and superheroes are okay though.

My little baby boy is growing up. Soon, the day will come when he's too cool for a kiss from his mother. Sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment