Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Terrible Twos - Already!

Her second birthday is still a week away, but the terrible twos have arrived for Aisling. Last night, we had another repeat of a tantrum that involved flailing arms and legs, screaming and crying and not wanting anyone to touch her or look at her. After the bath, during the towelling off, Mommy wasn't there so she became very upset. She wriggled away and while on her back, she slid her way into Devlin's room and slammed the door. Whenever someone tried to open the door or peek in, she slammed it again. I was a tad concerned because she was diaper-less, but decided to leave her alone.
Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, she calmed down, and tried to open the door. Once the bedroom door was opened, she made her way to me, and snuggled into my arms while sniffling. She allowed me to diaper her, but then took issue with the pyjamas that had been selected. There was another tussle while she decided on the evening wear. Finally, she was dressed. I handed her the bottle and soother and brought her downstairs.
However, I accidentally knocked her foot against the stairway, and that started another crying session. Not only did she toss the bottle, she then flipped over the coffee table (it's not that heavy, but still...) I put her onto the naughty stool for that stunt, but she refused to sit still. Instead she pushed the art easel all over the kitchen, tossed a toy on the ground and proceeded to try to open all the kitchen cabinet doors so she could slam them shut. She received a smack on the hand which did nothing to discourage her so I handed her over to her father.
I don't know what he did or what he said to her, but when I returned a few minutes later, Aisling was calm. She came over and said "sorry", and then cuddled in my lap while I tried to eat my very late dinner. She sampled a few items from my plate and smiled and giggled. A completely different child from the one that presented a half hour earlier.
Aside from the character-building temper tantrums, there are also other changes that signal Aisling's entry into the world of a two year old. For instance, she insists on selecting her own clothes in the morning. It's a long process that tries my patience when I'm rushing to get out the door. She also wants to select the diaper. They're all the same, but it's got to be one she picked out of the pile.
Every evening meal, when we are all gathered around the dining table, she insists we "hold hands" so we can say the table grace. Upon hearing the familiar phrase "in Jesus' name", she will shout "Amen" with glee and then proceed to eat.  Another evening meal practice for her is to do "cheers" with her milk bottle and mommy's glass. She is still my most adventurous eater - willing to try anything on her parent's plate, including asparagus last night. She will also feed you, if she feels you're not eating fast enough.
When she's not in the middle of a screaming tantrum, our Aisling can be quite angelic and downright helpful. If she wants mommy to get out of bed in the morning, she will poke and prod and try to push you out of bed. If that doesn't work, she bring me my eyeglasses and tries to put them on my face. If I'm in the bathroom, she stands by the toilet and hands me the toilet paper, and instructs me to "wipe"! If only I can re-interest her in potty training, then this knowledge that one "wipes" with toilet paper might be more useful. For a while, she was peeing in the potty, but now she's decided that she's not going near the potty unless she's fully diapered. But she will sit on the big toilet, "grunt and groan" and then announce she's all done. Done doing what? There's no evidence of any deposit!
Currently, she thinks it's absolutely hilarious to smack Mommy on the "bum-bum". She will come up behind me and hit my rear and then giggle uncontrollably. She also loves to watch her new cousin Mia on the computer. Every afternoon, I am asked to pull up photos of Mia Mia Mia on the 'puter for Aisling. If the computer is turned on, and there's no picture of Mia, Aisling asks "Where Mia go?"
She loves to share her foods and drinks. She could be eating a cheesie, and if you look at her, she will take the half-eaten, soggy cheesie, and offer it you, by asking "want some?" If you're sitting with her while she drinks her bottle, she'll stop halfway and offer up the bottle too. "You want some?"
Is she Mommy's girl? Yep. The other afternoon, we had about 10 minutes of alone time while her older siblings were napping. We settled onto the couch, and she pointed to the television, and said "turn t.v.?" So I did and selected Treehouse. It was Sesame Street. She said "no", so I tried TVO which had Arthur. She shook her head. Teletoon received the same response. "What do you want then? A movie?" I asked. She replied "Nummy", which is how she pronounces "yummy". So I turned on the Food Network, and my favorite cooking show 'Chef at Home' was on. I looked at Aisling, who nodded and sat down next to me.
Is she a Daddy's girl? Yep. The Montreal Canadiens have advanced again to the Eastern Conference finals, and Aisling, will sit down with Daddy to watch the "hockey game". She knows when to cheer, and is not easily spooked by Daddy's excited shouts, unlike Ceilidh. (Although there were no happy shouts the other night when the Habs were spanked by the Flyers 6-0.)
She's turning 2, but she's still our cuddly, affectionate little baby who loves to dispense sloppy wet kisses and snuggle into you to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment