Monday, April 12, 2010

The things they say!

If there's one thing I've learned as a mom, it's that kids WILL say the darnedest things. Mine are no different. Especially when it comes to explaining their actions. For example:

Last night, after a long day of travel to and from London to meet Baby Mia, everyone was tired. Baths were skipped in favour of a quick wipe down with a washcloth, and children were tucked into bed for quick story and bed. Ceilidh had her stories read to her by Uncle Billy. Instead of cooperating by falling asleep, she hopped out of bed and went in search of Daddy for her bedtime story.
Uncle Billy: Ceilidh, the story is the same. You've already heard it once tonight.
Ceilidh: Yes, but I want to hear Daddy's voice read the story.

Ceilidh has also recently acquired a disgusting habit, that many children do and hopefully, will soon discard. She's been picking her nose and then consuming whatever she discovers. GROSS. Short of sticking cotton up her nostrils, we've tried to stop that behaviour. (My mother recently suggested putting vaseline in her nose to discourage this. That's the next step.) When I last caught her doing this, I yelped, "Stop that. It's disgusting. WHY are you doing that??"
Her answer? "Because I'm hungry!"

And while we're on topic of noses...
All 3 children were excited to meet Baby Mia. Devlin was a bit disappointed that Mia turned out to be a girl. He had one serious question to ask me. Pulling me aside, he asked "What is that thing on Mia's belly? It looks like a BIG booger!"

I did explain the purpose of the umbilical cord - that it was to feed the baby while baby was in the tummy. He then asked what did the baby eat? Whatever mummy ate. Well, what did I eat when he was in my tummy? "French fries" was my answer, and he broke into giggles.

Devlin also displayed his foray into diplomacy.
After much discussion about Baby Mia's looks, Auntie Shunaha asked, "Devlin, what colour is Baby Mia? Is she white (like you) or yellow?"
With all seriousness, he answered, "It's very hard to say."

And also, he's developing sarcasm.
Uncle Billy is spending some time with us. I pointed to Uncle Billy's suitcase, and said, "Look Devlin, Uncle Billy is moving in! You get to share your bedroom with him."
While pumping his fist half-heartedly into the air, he quipped "Yay" while looking anything but.

No comments:

Post a Comment