Friday, August 13, 2010

Feminine Ideal?

My daughter Ceilidh is very much a "girly" girl. She loves to wear dresses and skirts. Pink is her favorite colour. Anything related to princesses are always a hit with her. Even as a toddler, she preferred dolls to other toys and she loves to play dress-up. Lately, accessories have been her obsession, especially costume jewellery.
However, I apparently do not measure up her standard of an ideal female. This morning, after detailing her bad dream, she changed the topic abruptly to my appearance, or lack of.
Ceilidh: Mommy, you need a new lipstick.
Mommy: Hmmm? (I'm trying to pay attention as I rush around the room looking for clothes while soothing Aisling who's woken up.)
C: New lipstick for your mouth. I saw it on t.v. (She then mimes putting on lipstick.)
M: Okay. Anything else?
C: You need some shadow for eyes too. Like this. (Then she mimes the application of eye shadow.)
M: Oh really. (Okay, I wear a minimal amount of cosmetics on a daily basis. On weekends, I probably wear none. While I am a proponent of the "au naturel" look, it's mainly because I'm too lazy and too rushed to put on anything more than eye-liner and mascara. I stopped wearing lipstick when I had kids because it always ended up on the babies.)
C: And you need to walk like this.
She then demonstrated a sultry gait, while flipping her back, and coquettishly looking over her shoulder! Like Jessica Rabbit but with bed head.

I was speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment