Friday, August 6, 2010

Precocious Aisling!

Devlin is a cautious child who always needs a bit of encouragement to try a new activity. He's a tad shy too, but once he becomes accustomed to a new routine or environment, there's no stopping him. For example, in a matter of a two short weeks, he's now cycling up and down hills without hesitation and even pedalling standing up. Some might think this is a less admirable quality in a boy, but hey, I won't have to worry about Devlin attempting silly things like doing cartwheels down the banister.
Now, Ceilidh and Aisling, they're fearless creatures who will jump into the pool without thought or climb up to the highest slides without blinking an eye. They're both very friendly and will chat comfortably with anyone who smiles at them. This is a bit worrisome.
Last night, at Ceilidh's soccer game, Aisling and I played at the park. I pushed her on the swings and then she went to play be the slides. As Devlin was also nearby working the monkey bars, I left to watch the soccer game, a mere 50 meters away. Every once in a while I checked on Devlin and Aisling. After witnessing Ceilidh score a goal and also take away the ball from the opposing team, I headed back towards the play structure. I saw Aisling by the big kid swings, "chatting" with another toddler. As I got closer, I could see the other toddler was a boy. When I called out her name, she looked up, almost guiltily. Then she ignored me. She turned back to the little boy. I asked Aisling if she wanted Mommy to push her on the swing, and she declined. In fact, she offered her hand to the little boy and tried to persuade him to go over to the slide. The boy demurred, so she tried to drag him over. Once again he stood firm. So, she went off to the slide by herself.
Seeing that she was amusing herself, I went back to watch the last minute of the soccer game and to help collect our bikes. When I returned to Aisling, she was now chasing a different little boy around the play structure! She's barely 2 and she's already picking up boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment