Thursday, September 23, 2010

Aspiring to be a Worthy Parent

Recently, the media reported a story of a young boy in Kingston who was selling his toys to raise money for a headstone for his late father. The boy was 9 years old and he had lost his father to a sudden illness last year. Even though there was insurance to deal with debts, the mother explained there hadn't been enough money left over to pay for a headstone. The young child, wanting something permanent to mark his father's burial site, decided to hold a garage sale and sell his toys. As I read the selfless and loving actions of this young child, tears welled up in my eyes. The story touched the hearts of many across Canada. A follow-up article reported that a company was willing to construct the headstone, free of charge, while others were sending in money to help this child meet his goal. Athletes and celebrities called to donate memorabilia for the garage sale and classmates were donating their toys for the sale. Many of the readers who were touched by this story had also lost their parents at a young age. Although the headstone has now been secured, the garage sale is still going ahead with proceeds to be donated to a local charity, also the young child's decision. The remainder of the donations are to be put into an education fund for this boy.
As I read this story, I thought to myself, how lucky was that child, even though it was for a short time, to have such a great dad that it compelled him to act in such a selfless manner. To be motivated, at age 9, to sell his toys and find the money to purchase a headstone for his father. That dad must have been one great parent. To be loved and held in such esteem. And then I felt such guilt and remorse for yelling at my kids earlier. Children have short memories, and my actions would not invoke such loving gestures from my offspring. I can't promise I won't ever yell at my kids ('cuz that would be foolhardy), but I can vow to try harder to be a better mom. I can promise to work harder at keeping my patience. After all, five or ten years from now, will it really matter that we were late again for another lesson, or that dinner was served cold? Will it matter that the milk was spilled again? (It shouldn't considering the state of our floors anyways.) We all know the answer to this. We want to "do right" by our kids, and what we all want is to be held up, in the eyes of our children, as heroes. And what superhero yells at their kid all the time?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is ok to yell at your kids sometimes. They need discipline. You are already a great parent! I cannot imagine someone being kinder to their children.

    ReplyDelete