Tuesday, September 14, 2010

How I spent my summer vacation (by a mom)

I did not visit a spa or obtain a much needed pedicure and foot massage, despite the wear and tear from a season of ultimate frisbee.
I did not spend an afternoon watching soaps, or my favorite TV chefs, or even catch of re-run of Oprah.
I did not have leisurely mornings spent in bed while some fairy whipped up delicious breakfasts.
I did not travel to an exotic location that required passports and hours of air travel.

But...

I did go to the mall six or seven times to purchase back-to-school gear, backpacks, shoes, clothes for Ceilidh who sprouted over the summer months.
I did schedule a visit with the pediatrician to have Devlin's medical forms filled out for school, and then dropped of the forms and medication at the school BEFORE the school year began.
I did register the children in all of their extra-curricular activities: gymnastics for Ceilidh and Aisling on Tuesdays; piano lessons for Devlin on Tuesday; swimming lessons for all three on Fridays; gymnastics for Devlin on Saturdays; dance lessons for Ceilidh and Aisling on Saturdays; and hockey for Devlin on Saturday and Sunday.
Then, I acquired all the required accouterments for the above activities. New dance shoes purchased for Ceilidh, old pair of Ceilidh's dance shoes for Aisling. New dance leotards for Ceilidh and old one found for Aisling. Hockey equipment became a bone of contention between the parents. Dad didn't believe old helmet was still suitable and spent $63 on a new one. He came home and discovered he bought the EXACT SAME helmet we already had, which meant a trip back to the store to return the $63 helmet and the totally unnecessary $90 hockey bag.
I put away summer clothes, or at least most of the summer clothes, and dug out fall/winter clothing for the children. I took stock of what was needed and returned to the stores once again.
Lunch box paraphernalia also had to be purchased.
I did finally get around to weeding and trimming the overgrown hedges in the backyard.
I realized I forgot to purchase new rubber boots. But umbrellas we have.
A note came home from school on Friday. Indoor shoes required for Devlin. Another trip to the store.
Husband also noted that he needed new pants. Yet another outing for the credit card.

I think I need a vacation to recover from my summer vacation.

Okay, I did spend a few days at the family cottage where I read the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larrson. Very good.
I did get caught up on reading 6 months of back-issues of Today's Parent and Canadian Living. I now know what to do for Easter next year.
I did go through the toys and manage to collect two large bags to donate to charity. Yet the pile of toys haven't shrunk noticeably. Perhaps they reproduce while we sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment