Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Potty Training Adventures - part 1

Now that Devlin and Ceilidh are in school all day long, we've decided it's a great time to get serious with potty training Aisling. Previous attempts were met with some success, and then total refusal.
When I'd suggest she pee in the potty, Aisling would look at me with disdain, and state calmly, "Change my bum."
If I urged her even more to sit on the toilet, she would refuse and lay down on the floor, assuming the bum-changing position.
Sticker rewards meant nothing to her. Smarties only worked for two days. We upped the ante and offered her Oreo cookies for successful trips to the potty. Then Aisling caught on to the game. She began to demand the treat BEFORE she'd sit on the potty. With treat in hand, she'd sit for a few minutes and then declare "I can't!" and hop off the throne.
With the excitement of summer and the adventures that accompany it, potty training was shelved for awhile. Last week, we've re-evaluated our strategy, and stocked up on a Costco-sized box of Princess Pull-ups. Aisling is more amenable to sitting on the toilet and producing a result. Of course, in addition to the pretty princess pull-up, we've acquiesced to her demands for bottles (as opposed to sippy cups) of milk, and all the soothers her little paws can hold. She is much more agreeable to being taken to the toilet by our nanny, and more or less fights with Daddy about the issue.
Yesterday morning, I was rushing around packing lunches for Devlin and Ceilidh, while consuming my own breakfast. Aisling woke up and demanded her morning bottle. I provided it with a suggestion that she go potty. She said "NO" quite clearly. Instead she sat on the counter, begging for bites of my bagel while cuddling against me. In between tiny nibbles, she noticed the bracelet I was wearing.
"What's that?" she pointed.
"It's mommy's bracelet. Do you want it? I'll let you wear it if you go pee pee on the potty," I tried to tempt her.
"No."
"Go potty, and you can have the bracelet," I said as I took off the bauble.
"No, I want that!" my precocious toddler stated as she pointed to my diamond engagement ring.

Well, she's got good taste and a stubborn streak. I can't deny she's mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment