Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 1 of March Break

It's only the afternoon, but I'm exhausted. Maybe I shouldn't have drank so much alcohol last night, but I needed to get this March Break off to a good start, for me that is. So, being hung over is probably not a great thing when I've got to the kids off to swimming lessons first thing in the morning.
But being on vacation and being at home with the kids also means getting to enjoy the simpler pleasures, like putting Quinn down for his afternoon nap.
As we cuddled on the bed, I watched his hands as they stroked his stuffed lamb, and fingered the tag and clutched at stray threads. I reflected on how he's always managed to soothe himself through these tactile methods. Just like his older brother Devlin, who would get his fingers all knotted in and amongst the yarn of his knitted baby blanket. Eventually, that blanket had to be retired since we couldn't manage to re-knit all of the holes he'd put in. Grandma knitted a much smaller version, and Devlin still carries it around and sleeps with it. I'm sure it'll make the trip to university with him one day.
The girls were never dependent on any stuffed animals or security blankets. Oh, they'll sleep with various stuffies but they're fickle. The girls don't stay loyal to any one particular stuffed doll or toy. The only constant is their Daddy as their sleeping companion.
Then I felt a tug that pulled me out of my reverie. It was Quinn, whose wandering hands had found my necklace. As his eyelids began to droop, his fingers twisted and tugged at the chain and fiddled with the diamond pendant. Eventually, his hands stilled as his breathing became heavy, but the grasp didn't loosen. So, I cuddled my baby a little while longer, until the thundering footsteps of his older siblings reminded me of other pressing engagements.

No comments:

Post a Comment