Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Rookie Mistake

As a mother to four kids, I've changed a gazillion diapers. If you lined up the number of diapers I've changed in the past 9 years end to end, I'm sure they'd circle the earth a few times, or at least the span the distance to the moon and back.
In swapping a soiled diaper or a clean one, whether cloth or disposable (yes, there was a time when I was environmental or frugal or simply sleep-deprived delusional), I've managed to perfect the technique and the length of time it takes. I've had to change a baby outside in the freezing cold at a frisbee game, in a moving car (the car was moving was moving slowly due to an accident on the highway, there was no where to pull over, and the stench was suffocating us), in a tiny airplane bathroom while experiencing mild turbulence. Name the situation, I've done it. And yes, I'm one of those moms who made a "political" statement about the lack of change tables at a chain coffee shop by changing a toddler at a table in plain view of everyone.
As we're nearing the end of diapers (I hope soon), I made a rookie mistake. I will blame it on the pint and half of Keith's I had just consumed. I had Quinn on the change table. I slid the fresh diaper underneath, and unfastened the wet one. I pulled the old diaper away, and instead of taping him up, I turned away for brief moment while looking for the trash can. When I looked down at Quinn, I realized the error of my ways. He had peed - all over the clean diaper, the change pad, and apparently me. The waist of his shirt was soaking up the pee as I stared at his innocent smile while he exclaimed "I pee?!"
At least, I packed a few extra diapers. No change of clothes though.
Which goes to show there's always a first time for everything, even for this "experienced" mom of four.

No comments:

Post a Comment