Monday, May 26, 2014

Related to the primates

It's no secret that I refer to my offspring as monkeys. When Devlin was a toddler, I'd often point to the Telus monkey and tell him that it was "Devlin". I know I was successful in brain-washing my child when - in public - he pointed to a cartoon depiction of a monkey, and cried out excitedly "Mommy - it's me!"
Then there was the time, when I wondered out loud, in exasperation, "Where are my monkeys?" and Aisling piped up, "Here I am!"
On the weekend, I overheard a serious conversation between Daddy and his two daughters.
"Daddy? Ummm, which family do we belong to? Is it the gorillas?" asked Aisling.
"Pardon?" came Daddy's reply.
"I think it's the 'ragtangs, but Ceilidh says it's not. Which family are we related to?"
"We do NOT belong to the orangutan family, nor do we belong to the gorillas," came Daddy's answer which sounded like he was struggling not to laugh.
I piped in, "Nope, you all are related to the baboon family, but not Mommy, she's the only normal one."


After all, we do live in a zoo...

No comments:

Post a Comment