Saturday, May 31, 2014

Quick thinking Saves the Party Girl

Happy Birthday Aisling! She's had quite the celebration this year - family birthday with the aunts and uncles and grandparents on the long weekend, a special brunch on her actual birthday, and a chaotic party with her friends at a ridiculous indoor activity place.
Mommy spent the evening before attempting to create a castle cake, and a frantic morning doing the last minute decorations and loot bags on top of the usual crazy Saturday morning routine. The festivities were scheduled for late afternoon, which meant having to answer just "how many more hours/minutes until my party?" a gazillion times. To add even more chaos to the mix, Quinn has been ill with a gasteronintestinal bug. He threw up several times yesterday, and then once more puked all over Mommy in bed last night. So, he's been out of sorts and miserable and clingy. To Mommy.
We finally made it out of the house. Took a wrong turn to the party place. Still made good time. Cake only shifted a little.
Left the list of invitees at home. Couldn't remember exactly how many kids were coming. Or who.
Parents showed up and offered, quite reluctantly, to stay and help out. I politely turned down their offers, knowing full well, they just wanted to get away from the kids for two hours. I know, because I make the same offer, hoping that no one actually takes me up on the offer.
The kids were let loose into the gym - climbing structure area. Quinn refused to venture more than two feet from me.
And then disaster struck.
Devlin and Ceilidh came running to me and their dad. Aisling had peed. In the climbing gym. On the top level. A lot. Her socks were soaked. And she refused to come down.
Well, I wasn't going to climb up. And I was VERY MAD. I had told her repeatedly to go the bathroom before leaving the house. I should have known better.
I attempted to find her, only to be stopped by a sobbing Quinn.
I sent the kids to bring her down, and could hear little voices, above the noisy din, "if you see something wet, it's Aisling - she peed her pants!". Great....
I took hold of Aisling and marched her to the bathroom. She left wet footprints on the floor. I left daddy to deal with alerting the staff to the clean up required on level 3 or 4.
My spouse asked if I brought extra clothes? Yeah, for Quinn. Not the six-year-old who's been potty trained for several years.
I looked at Aisling, and instructed her to strip off her wet underwear and socks. Into the garbage they went. As we wiped her down, and I verbally dressed her down for not listening to Mommy, she managed to look both tearful and defiant at the same time.
She couldn't go climbing without socks. What to do? It was the start of the party. I couldn't have her sit out of the fun, even though she deserved it.
Quick thinking Mommy came to the rescue. I recruited Ceilidh, who was wearing shorts. Had Ceilidh give Aisling her undies and Ceilidh went commando. Had Ceilidh also hand over her socks to Aisling and gave Ceilidh my socks. See? Problem solved. A little icky, but better than a sobbing 6 year old and a bunch of 6 year olds laughing at her.
Definitely a birthday party to remember!


No comments:

Post a Comment