Thursday, June 12, 2014

One Upman-ship

I celebrated my birthday a few days ago. I'm not divulging my age. That's not significant. I'm old enough to drive, vote, drink and apparently, that's all that matters in this society for "milestones". Really, there should be a minimum age for having children and being responsible for another being. But there's not. And sadly, I don't if I'd ever make that cut-off age.
But I digress.
Back to my birthday celebration. It was a low-key event at the zoo. There was a cake, and there was singing. No, the candles on the cake did NOT set off the smoke detector. There were no small kitchen appliances to unwrap. No big kitchen appliances either.
The best gift of course, were the gazillion hugs and kisses and cuddles I received from the monkeys. And a shoulder rub from Devlin. When I expressed my gratitude at the gesture, he was struck with an idea. He disappeared for a few minutes, allowing me to watch Game 3 of the Stanley cup play-offs in relative peace. Upon his return, he presented me with various handwritten coupons. There was one coupon that "good for a cuddle", another that was "good for foot massage", one for "servant for a day", and my favorite - "good for one alone night". Every single coupon was set to expire on June 18 (his birthday), so I decided I had better get started on redeeming these.
I tried to cash in the "Good for one alone night" thinking I would get to watch the rest of the hockey game in peace, with a glass of wine, all by myself without any interruptions. My son rebuffed my attempts, pushing the coupon back towards me, stating that the "alone night" could only be redeemed on the weekends. Quite shrewd. Uncle Billy thinks Devlin has the makings of a successful enterpriser.
Ceilidh, seeing my pleasure at the coupons, decided to do one better. She also disappeared for a short time, and returned, also bearing slips of paper. Her coupons had no "Best Before" date and each coupon was valid for 10 services - 10 foot rubs, 10 alone nights, 10 errands, 10 cuddles and 10 kisses! (Uncle Billy's assessment - Ceilidh is generous to a fault, and will run her business into the ground.)

No comments:

Post a Comment