Friday, June 6, 2014

Why Mommy Has a Potty Mouth

I have a horrible habit of cussing. No monetary punishment could cure me of this vice. Even though I grew up in a home where "stupid" was considered a taboo word, I have nonetheless picked up this colourful method of expressing my views, emotions, opinions, whatever. It's a quite a feat for an English major and someone who relies on oral advocacy in her job. I swear though, that I've never dropped the f-bomb in court, on the record.
Despite my use of the crude English, my kids, thankfully, have not picked up on this habit. At least, not within my earshot. But they're well aware of it, and have formulated their own reasons for Mommy's potty mouth.
The other night, Daddy mentioned to Devlin that when he's a bit older (Devlin that is), Daddy will introduce him to a classic hockey movie - Slapshot. But not yet.
The conversation apparently went like this:

Devlin: Why can't I watch it now?
Daddy: There's too many bad words in it.
Devlin: Like Mommy's bad words?
Daddy: Yes.

Then thinking about it, Daddy asked if he used bad words like Mommy. Devlin stated that while Daddy did use bad words, it wasn't as frequent as Mommy.
Devlin went on further to postulate when and why the bad words came out.

Devlin: You only use the bad words when you're really mad at us.
Daddy: What about Mommy? Does she use when she's mad? At you kids?
Devlin: Yeah, but more when she's mad at you.
Daddy: Why do you think she's mad at me?
Devlin: Cuz you're not helping, with making dinner, cleaning, laundry, stuff like that. That's when she really uses the bad words.

Hmmm...smart kid. Perhaps Daddy could learn a little from his child's observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment