Friday, September 18, 2009

Aisling is sick

So, we were too hopeful and naive in thinking Devlin's illness and resulting ear infection wouldn't affect anyone else. Aisling is now sick. She's been having temps of 39.6 or so, despite several rounds of advil and tylenol. She's very clingy and starting to whimper.
Last evening, we took her to the walk-in clinic. And returned with instructions to retrieve a urine sample from the baby. How? A plastic bag, taped to her nether regions and tucked inside the diaper. Then carefully empty bag into specimen cup. Okay, shouldn't be too hard.
Well, one restless baby who didn't sleep well and the plastic bag came loose. Try again. Still no pee in the bag, but lots of pee in the diaper. I'll have to return to the clinic to get more bags. But in the meantime, her fever is still raging, and it's now croup. She's barking like a seal, and her breathing is sooo loud, it really does sound like rattles.And as per textbook definition, this happened in the middle of the night.
Poor baby - my very active going concern just wants to be cuddled as she snuggles her hot sweaty head into the crook of my neck.
Last night, after we had taped the pee bag to her, and dosed her with more tylenol, she was very restless as she tried to find a position that allowed her to breathe comfortably but still wanted to be snuggled by me. All that jostling around after a bottle of milk - not a good thing. Because as she buried her face into my chest, she heaved and threw up...all over me. Somehow i managed to contain it all on me. Nothing on the bed. Pretty talented!
Devlin took one look, and said very calmly, "I'll go get Daddy" and then raced out to yell "DADDY! AISLING THREW UP ON MOMMY!"
Which brought back memories of Devlin doing that to me all the time before we realized he had lactose intolerance issues. He would down 6 ounces of milk and bring it all back up within 4 minutes, and I would manage to catch it all on me. Yuck - it was pretty gross, but just another page in the mommyhood book.

No comments:

Post a Comment