Thursday, October 15, 2009

Promises of presents

My parents and my youngest sister Grace have just left for a month-long visit to Korea. For my parents, it will be the first time they have ever returned to visit together. Both have gone back on separate occasions, but because of family and work obligations, they haven't had the luxury to return to their homeland together. But it's also a journey home for my grandmother. Her ashes are to be buried in her hometown, next to my late grandfather. So, it's a homecoming of sorts, filled with the happy anticipation of seeing family and old friends (and great shopping for my sister) but also tinged with sadness.
It's been forty years since my dad left his country of birth and travelled here, looking for education and opportunities, and eventually finding a place to raise his family. It's also my parents' fortieth wedding anniversary. My dad left for Canada a few hours after the wedding ceremony, and my mother didn't join him in Canada for another 2 years. But that's a story for another day.
In preparation for their trip, my parents and sister were spending a few days with us before their departure. Grandma cooked and baked to fill our fridge with lots of wholesome food that she knows her dear grandkids will enjoy(does she think I can't feed my family?). Auntie Grace spent a day playing with Devlin and Ceilidh. Aisling got to enjoy lots of special attention from everyone.
When Devlin learned that everyone was leaving early the next morning, he got quite upset. To distract him, Auntie Grace asked him what he wanted from Korea.
G: What shall I bring you from Korea? What kind of gifts?
D: I don't know. What kind of stuff is in Korea?
G: How about new pyjamas?
D: Okay, I like pyjamas. But, ummm, Auntie Grace, what else is in Korea?
G: Lots of things. Why don't you think about it, and get mommy to send me an email with what you want.
D: I have a better idea. Why don't you go there and see what's in Korea. Then you can call me and tell me, and I'll tell you what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment