Sunday, October 18, 2009

A special anniversary message

It's been 10 years since Wayne and I exchanged vows to be together until death do us part. Sometimes it seems like only yesterday that we were heading down the aisle, and then some days, it seems like we've been together forever! (yet, he still hasn't learned how to fold the towels to fit on the shelves in the closet.)

Over the years, there's been lots of challenges to our marriage. We started out with a weekend marriage while I was in law school in Ottawa and he kept the home fires burning in Toronto. We had summers to re-adjust to the togetherness, and there were lots of times I'm sure we wished we could throw a coffee cup or two at each other. After law school, I found an articling position somewhat near to our residence. My brother more or less lived with us for a year or two. I got my own car! We started to play ultimate frisbee together. We finally embarked on our honeymoon - four years after the wedding. A road trip out east that tested our skills as co-pilots and gave us lasting memories of dining on fresh lobsters and sampling the offerings of the local micro-breweries.

Then our first home. We busied ourselves with decorating (painting the walls) and making plans for the future. And very very soon after that, we welcomed Devlin into our lives. Another period of adjustment as we figured out how to care for this squalling infant that looked like a monkey but had us wrapped around his tiny finger. Since then, we've moved, added two daughters to the mix, bought a mini-van, managed to enjoy a couple of vacations, and grow together as a couple.

The past ten years haven't always been easy. There's been lots of times that I have fumed at Wayne, and his tendency to procrastinate. Why is it nagging if I have to ask him to do something more than once in a 24 hour period? But hey, he finally put up the shelves in the bedroom - a whole year after they were purchased. And his offer to help clean up after a meal only extends to the dishes actually in the sink.

And then there are many many things that endear him to me. Like how he scrubbed dirty cloth diapers without a complaint; or manly took over the puking child; how he hangs shelves evenly although I had my doubts when I saw his first efforts when we were engaged; how he managed to set up a ladder to coax a litter of baby skunks to leave our basement window well; how he manages to over-cook the steaks each and every time; how he appreciates my culinary efforts in the kitchen. He watches chick flicks willingly, and he got teary-eyed at the end of Monsters Inc. (yeah, the cartoon movie with the furry creatures). He still exasperates me with his obsessive need to go over every brilliant pass on the frisbee field, or his inability to find his wallet/phone/keys despite looking everywhere and then I find the missing item in the place he's searched three times. And his taste in television shows don't always jibe with mine. Really, Charmed and Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Then there's his compulsive need to place every actor's face and name the last three shows that said actor was in. It's like playing six degrees of separation every time the t.v. is on.

However, seeing him grow as a father these last several years has been the icing on the cake. I can remember the awe on his face when he first held Devlin. I love watching him cradle the babies on his chest as they slumber. When Aisling was in the special care nursery, he would would hold her gently as she was fed, and then read "Guess How Much I love You?" to her. Aisling still loves to be held and rocked by her Daddy when it's time for a nap because he sings to her. That's another thing - he can't carry a tune in a bucket but both his girls would be soothed by their daddy's lullabies.

For someone who didn't have much of a father figure in his own life, Wayne is an amazing dad. He is incredibly patient when teaching Devlin how to catch the frisbee. He spends hours with the kids playing in the park or on the driveway. He relishes the tight hugs that Ceilidh dispenses and melts when she loudly announces that she loves him. His face lights up when Aisling runs to greet him at the door and throws herself at his legs. He reads to the kids every night and says their prayers too.

There are so many facets of Wayne that makes him an incredibly supportive partner. He listens to my work frustrations and encourages me in all of my endeavours. He brings the kids to cheer for me at a race. He once rollerbladed alongside to support me when I ran a half-marathon! He occasionally yells at me when I drop the frisbee on the field. He makes the best coffee in the mornings, and on weekends, he is the pancake chef. Although, his omelettes could use a little help.

And after all these years, I still enjoy just being with him. I still laugh at his (awful) jokes. I still fall for his corny lines. I still look forward to hearing his voice on the phone, and seeing him at the end of the day.

Happy Anniversary, and here's to many many more years of laughter and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment