Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 1 of Daddy Being Away

I spent my one hour commute home thinking about how to distract the children from Daddy's absence at the dinner table. It was easier than I thought. The promise of spaghetti and meatballs for dinner was the trick. And a few hours later, the arrival of much adored Auntie Grace sealed the deal. In fact, neither Devlin nor Ceilidh were greatly interested in saying good night to Daddy on the phone. It was Auntie Grace who had to give them a bath and read them stories. Devlin requested of Auntie Grace to sleep with him. All was good.
Except I hadn't counted on Aisling missing her Daddy so much. Whenever she heard anyone open a door or footsteps on the stairs, she looked up and asked "Daddy?" It took her a long time to fall asleep last night. It was obvious something was not right in her little world. Her first words this morning when she woke up were "Daddy? Daddy" as she looked around in vain.
And me? I'm so grateful that my sister was with us last night, otherwise it would have been a long sleepless night for me. At 11:00pm, Devlin woke up crying with growing pains. And again at 12:00. Auntie Grace took over the rubbing of his foot. Then at 1:3o in the morning, he wet the bed, which necessitated in me stripping the bed while she changed his wet pyjamas. And she was the one who calmed him down and rubbed his feet again until he fell asleep. And again when he woke up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment