Friday, June 25, 2010

Body language - part 1

A few months ago, Devlin pointed to my chest area and asked, "Why do you have small boobs?"

Compared to whom, I wondered. But instead, a bit startled by the question, I answered, "Because I breastfed the three of you, and the proper word is breasts."

Ignoring my correction, he then asked, "Does that mean you're a small mommy?"

"Huh?" But before I could probe his line of questioning further, he moved onto a another topic, which is typical of young children and their short attention spans.

I figured the curiosity was due to him observing our former nanny breastfeeding her baby. Nothing more was said of the topic, so I left it alone.

Then tonight, in the bath, he pointed to my bare chest and asked, "Why are they called boobs?"

(Yes, I sometimes get in the tub with the kids. It's easier and more efficient to bathe all 3 kids in this manner. And these days, it's the only chance I get to soak in a tub full of bubbles.)

"The proper word is breasts," I corrected.

"We call it boobs," he replied.

Then Ceilidh piped up. "Actually, we call it boobyberries!"

I didn't know if I should laugh (never heard that before) or ignore it. Didn't matter, the silliness just multiplied.

Boobyberries! Really?!

No comments:

Post a Comment