Friday, June 25, 2010

Time Well Spent

It's time for end-of-year assemblies, and Devlin's kindergarten class did a presentation of The Little Red Hen. Same a last year, but a different rendition. Apparently there are many variations of the story. You learn something new every day!
So, I informed my boss I'd be coming into work late. My desk at work is covered with files and my inbox is overflowing. The stress level at the office is high. I can't really afford to slack off, but some things in life are too important to pass up.
Last night, Devlin put on a brave face, and said, "Mommy, we're doing The Little Red Hen tomorrow. Are you coming? Because if you're not, it's okay." The last part came out in a rush, as if rehearsed a few times.
"No, I'll be there. I can't wait to see it. I already told my boss I needed to see my little boy's assembly."
The grin on his face could have lit up a stadium.
"Okay, that's great. But you can't laugh at me," he instructed.

Mommy and Daddy and Ceilidh turned up at the school to watch this very short (10 minute) presentation of The Little Red Hen. Then there was crafts for the pupils and parents. Glue everywhere, little hands manoeuvring scissors, markers here and there. I did glance at my watch a few times. We did all the craft stations. Then we gathered up our little boy and went home. Or rather, I dropped them off at home and then fought the cottage traffic to get to work.
The pile on my desk had grown even more. As I hunkered down to tackle the files, I had one image in my mind. The happy smile on Devlin's face when he spotted his parents and younger sister in the crowd. And the sad faces of the children whose parents were unable to attend. It was well worth the headache that greeted me at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment