Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mommy's Birthday

It was my birthday yesterday and it turned out to be a great day. With each passing year, it's hard to look forward to getting another year older. While I'd like to stop counting the actual number of years it's been since I entered this world, my son won't let me. For several days, I've been asked "How old are you going to be?" Or better yet, "Will you finally be older than Daddy?" My response to that was, "No, I'll never be older than your daddy, but I will always be more mature."
Despite the dreary weather, my day started out with "Happy Birthday Mommy" greetings from the children followed by wet kisses before I left for work.  I received phone calls from family members and messages from friends. When I returned home, there were two lovely handmade cards waiting for me on my bed, and more wet kisses. Ceilidh presented me with her favorite toys as her present to me, but only for the night. Devlin declared his present to mommy would be giving her the honour and delight of sleeping with him. Okay, it wasn't worded in that manner.
There was a big delicious cake, an off-tune "Happy Birthday" sung by my family, and Aisling's help in blowing out the candles. I think there was some spit that got onto the cake. A Magic Bullet system appeared next to the cake. Yummy drinks anyone?
But the best present was probably hearing the comments about my son from the kindergarten teachers at school  There was an information session on all-day kindergarten that I attended last night. Yes, Ceilidh is off to junior kindergarten in September, and it's going to be ALL-DAY!  Afterwards, I briefly chatted with the teachers, and they all claimed Devlin was a delight since he makes them laugh EVERY DAY! Apparently he's quite the chatter box and regales them all with tales of our family (uh-oh) and that he's very smart. He's also the ringleader of a group of 7 boys, and very well-liked.
It's always nice to hear such positive comments about your kid. Especially when we had such worries about him adjusting to school at all. The very first week of junior kindergarten, he got sent to the vice-principal's office for fighting. It was 3 months before he could walk into the building without crying buckets of tears. There were several more phone calls about his behaviour during that trying year of junior kindergarten. To hear he has adjusted smoothly and is more than ready to tackle grade one was the "icing on the cake" to my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment